Thursday, February 26, 2009

The Next Day


John 1:29-34

The next day he saw Jesus coming towards him and declared, ‘Here is the Lamb of God who takes away the sin of the world! 30This is he of whom I said, “After me comes a man who ranks ahead of me because he was before me.” 31I myself did not know him; but I came baptizing with water for this reason, that he might be revealed to Israel.’ 32And John testified, ‘I saw the Spirit descending from heaven like a dove, and it remained on him. 33I myself did not know him, but the one who sent me to baptize with water said to me, “He on whom you see the Spirit descend and remain is the one who baptizes with the Holy Spirit.” 34And I myself have seen and have testified that this is the Son of God.’ (New Revised Standard Version).

 

The Next Day…

When you hear the words, “The next day,” anticipation of increasing your circumstance should automatically jump in your spirit of what good thing can happen next in your life.  In this passage of scripture, we find John excited about the next day because Jesus Christ was coming to offer salvation to those who wished to receive Him.  The even more interesting fact about this passage was that John did not really know everything about Christ, but he knew enough to know that everything was about to be alright.  In this season of Lent, you have to take a moment to reflect on what is important, what needs to leave, and what shall remain in your life while Christ is revealing himself to you.  Your “next day” is dependent on how you know Christ today!  Do you know Him like John knew Him; that He was sent to save you from all sins or you do you know Him and still doubt your victory? Each day in the season of Lent is your “next day” to get to know Christ more, to sacrifice more for His glory, to gain more wisdom to succeed.  Each “next day” you have is a brand new opportunity to call on His name and proclaim Him in your life as your Lord, your Savior, and your God.  Today is your “Next Day!”  What will you do with it?

Prayer for today:  Lord, you’ve brought me this far; now encourage me to walk with you today, and the next day and the next day, and the next day!

Submitted by:

Rev. Orsella R. Cooper, Associate Minister

Bethel AME Church, Bridgeport, CT

http://www.revorcooper-dailyinspiration.blogspot.com/    

2 comments:

  1. Thanks, looking forward to the next next with even more excitement

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was wonderful! I am certainly looking forward to all of the "next day's" devotions. Thanks for feeding my soul!

    Yolanda
    http://aintathatgoodnews.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete