Wednesday, March 18, 2009

SHINE ON ME!


SCRIPTURE

John 8: 12-20

Again Jesus spoke to them, saying, ‘I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will never walk in darkness but will have the light of life.’ Then the Pharisees said to him, ‘You are testifying on your own behalf; your testimony is not valid.’ Jesus answered, ‘Even if I testify on my own behalf, my testimony is valid because I know where I have come from and where I am going, but you do not know where I come from or where I am going. You judge by human standards;* I judge no one. Yet even if I do judge, my judgment is valid; for it is not I alone who judge, but I and the Father* who sent me. In your law it is written that the testimony of two witnesses is valid. I testify on my own behalf, and the Father who sent me testifies on my behalf.’ Then they said to him, ‘Where is your Father?’ Jesus answered, ‘You know neither me nor my Father. If you knew me, you would know my Father also.’ He spoke these words while he was teaching in the treasury of the temple, but no one arrested him, because his hour had not yet come. 


DEVOTION

Today we are reminded that Jesus is the Light of the World! Isn’t it wonderful GOOD NEWS that when we walk with Christ, Jesus will illuminate our pathway? Often as humans we feel like we are stumbling around in the dark. We strain the eyes of our hearts to see what the future holds. We worry, fuss, and cuss when we feel like we don’t know what is going on around us! 


But, today we are reminded that the darkness is not dark to God! There is nothing that God does not know and nowhere that we can go—or hide—that God cannot see! Since this is true, we walk in bold confidence knowing that the bright light of God’s countenance leads us onward and upward to glory land!


Does this mean that the way will always be easy? No! Does this mean that we will always feel in control? By no means! But, if we make it our business to “hold to God’s unchanging hand” we will never be truly lost or alone.


The Pharisees had trouble getting a hold of this good news. They asked Jesus, “Who else can confirm that you are the light of the World?” Jesus answered, “Me and my Daddy say so!” 


Today, all three persons of the Holy Spirit bear witness to the fact that Jesus is the Light of the World! But, they ought not to have to bear witness alone. We are called to share this GOOD NEWS with everyone we meet. We all know people who are stumbling around in the darkness, devoid of hope, and empty without Jesus. Let us make it our business to go to them today and “offer them a light!”


Light of the World, shine on me, that I might reflect your light to others. In Jesus’ Name, Amen.

Rev. Yolanda Denson Lehman, M.Div.

Travelling Evangelist: AME Zion Church


Publisher: “Ain’ta That Good News?!”


A daily Christian devotional dedicated to making the GOOD NEWS easy to understand and easy to share! Monday-Saturday, I mediate on a Biblical scripture with an emphasis on evangelism. On Sunday, I post my sermon based on revised standard lectionary! Please read as you are able, and share as you are led!


http://aintathatgoodnews.blogspot.com/

1 comment: